Friday, October 3, 2008

Escaping

I think all of us as we go through life whether we are alone, with someone or raising a family need to find time to satisfy are own fantacies. For most of us it is done by daydreaming, reading, watching TV/movies, or getting absorbed into a really good book. Did you ever observe people watching a televised game? It's bad enough that they yell out. Some really get involved. I mean did you ever listen to reactions when a really important game is occuring. These people actually know everything about these players, even keep up with their personal life. While observing a game I hear statements like, "What are you doing, Didn't I tell you to follow through". I am amazed and that is a polite reaction. Believe me. But it doesn't seem to end there. They will discuss and/or argue that game until the next one is aired. An escape mechanism that really seems to work for many people. For at least those few hours the viewer is engrossed in observing a physical activity and reacting to it almost immediately thereby nothing else is as important at that time. And it doesn't really matter whether they have company or not. The viewed activity in itself is taking the viewer to another place.

No comments: